Taking care of your car’s regular maintenance needs is a huge part of being a car owner. Failure to maintain your car could lead to major mechanical issues down the road. There are several maintenance tasks that often go overlooked by car owners, but are very important to the longevity of the car, as well as your safety. Let’s look at seven of the most commonly neglected car maintenance tasks.
- Brakes are often neglected until they begin making squealing or grinding sounds when applied. While these sounds aren’t the end of the world, it does mean you need to take your car in to get the brake pads replaced. In some cases if the brake pads wear down too far, the brake rotors will also have to be replaced.
- Tires often go overlooked, especially if you live in a state that doesn’t inspect cars yearly. Periodically check your tires air pressure and tread to make sure they are still in good shape. Uneven tread could signal a deeper problem with your car, so pay attention to not only the amount of tread, but also to whether it is wearing evenly or not.
- Your car’s alignment can get our of alignment. As a result the car may pull to one side or the other when driving. Alignment problems can also cause the car to rattle at certain speeds; if you notice a rattle or vibration it’s time to get your alignment checked. Uneven tire tread is also a sign of an alignment problem, so keep this in mind when checking your tires. Alignment problems can lead to major issues with your car’s axles, if left unattended.
- Windshield wipers are another top item car owners commonly neglect. And it’s strange too because it’s so obvious when they start to go. Old worn out wipers don’t do a good job of clearing your windshield, limiting your visibility. This is why it’s important to replace them on a regular basis. Related to your wipers, your windshield wiper fluid can prevent visibility issues should your windshield become dirty so keep this fluid full.
- Multiple air filters are located throughout your vehicle and require replacement. The engine air filter as well as the cabin air filter both need to be checked periodically. If these filters become clogged they won’t work as effectively reducing air flow as well as their filtering capabilities.
- The car battery is something most car owners take for granted, until it stops working. Car batteries do need to be replaced after a time, and they can be tested to see how much life the battery still has. If you have your battery tested and it has very little life left it’s time to replace it. In addition to the amount of charge your battery can hold, it’s also important to check the connectors for signs of corrosion.
- And finally, oil changes are an essential, and often delayed part of car maintenance. Keeping good, clean oil in your car is essential to its longevity and proper functioning. In addition to oil changes, it’s also important to periodically check the oil level in your car to make sure it isn’t low.
Car maintenance is an essential part of car ownership, and maintaining your car can help keep it running for thousands and thousands of miles. Many of these maintenance tips can easily be managed at home, but for the more complicated ones, such as alignments, tires, and oil changes, give Mighty Auto Pro a call today! We are your premier Medina, Ohio auto mechanic and our mission is to keep you safe and your car running smoothly for many years to come!